Friday, March 5, 2021

CEN FAQs: Emergency Footwear


Emergencies have a way of coming upon us with little or no warning. In some instances we are called to assist others by responding, in other situations we may be in the middle of the disaster ourselves. Having the right footwear available for any circumstance is important. 


In my vehicle, I keep comfortable walking shoes in case I get stuck in a situation and need to walk some distance, because I may not have the best walking shoes on my feet at the time I get stuck. Further, particularly in the winter, I make sure that I also have a good extra pair of boots. Digging yourself out of a snowdrift or walking a mile for assistance is difficult in dress shoes.


At home, I keep different types of boots for mucking around in the yard but also boots which would be suitable for responding to a disaster. You don’t want to break in new boots the day you’re going to use them for 12 hours helping clear debris in your neighbors’ yards so make sure you have a used pair in advance.


Having a pair of rubber boots coming up to the knee is excellent especially in very wet conditions, but they may not be as comfortable as other leather boots. Having a variety of several well used boots is helpful.


A good extra item to have are cleats  attached to the bottom of your boots to provide traction in slippery snow and ice conditions. A good idea is to keep your cleats in your automobile so if you’re out driving and need to walk in slippery conditions you can simply clip them on. When you're home your cleats should be with you in your car in the garage.


Wool socks are another important item which will keep your feet warm even if they get wet. A good idea is to have several pairs available so you can give them out to others. In some situations if your boots are not very tight on your feet the extra pair of socks will help avoid getting blisters.


In Scripture we read, “And the angel said to him, “Dress yourself and put on your sandals.” And he did so. And he said to him, “Wrap your cloak around you and follow me.” (Acts 12:8)


For more FAQs and Readiness Tips to prepare you and your family go to ReadyChristian



1 comment:

  1. Good advice here. I would add one thing as an avid hiker and outdoors man myself. Think about changing the convention of your socks with boots to make them more comfortable. Most of my "stay outdoors for days" boots require me to layer my socks in summer or winter. I use a thin wicking layer next to my foot (sometimes cotton, sometimes a more modern synthetic) and then a good wool outer sock. I find this combo to always be very comfortable. I have stood for hours in cold, thunder storms, humid summers, with no foot issues at all. Consider breaking in your boots on a good nature walk to see how they will feel when "off roading".

    ReplyDelete